28 September, 2007

Autumn, History, and Gridiron Rosary Intentions

College football is swinging into high gear (Auburn?…Where art thou Auburn?), Halloween is right around the corner and all is right with the world. We’re heading straight into my wheelhouse, the oh-so-happy trifecta that is October, November and December. I love the fall, though down here in lovely subtropical Florida we get none of the pretty colors and I’m just as likely to sweat on Halloween (a sin in my book) as not.

In these three months so full of Christian history, it will be quite a treat to experience them for the first time as a Catholic. Thanks to fellow like-minded bloggers I’ll be kicking off my favorite months with a novena in honor of the battle of Lepanto, beginning this Saturday on the feast of the Archangels and ending Sunday, October 7th, on the feast of the Holy Rosary. It is this immersion into the wisdom and experience of past saints, momentous occasions and even failures that continues to make me fall in love with the Church. So much of American Christianity is about a new road into a glorious new future, free from the shackles (and thus, the wisdom) of the past. In a time when conformity with the spirit of the age is to be desired I am consistently comforted by the Church that maintains a radically new outlook while anchored firmly in her past trials and treasures.

I’ll also include in my intentions for the first Holy Rosary of my Lepanto Novena a swift, sure, and thoroughly humiliating defeat of the Florida Gators at the hands of the Holy Auburn Tigers. Amen and Amen…

A happy Autumn to you all and may your homes be blessed and warmed (…or cooled) in the happy months to come.

No comments: