26 October, 2007

Politically Incorrect Orthodox Cookbooks

I'm trying to reign in my desire to go ahead and order The Bad Catholic's Guide to Wine, Whiskey, and Song and wait until Christmas. I'm not sure I'm going to make it. After reading through the original Bad Catholic's Guide to Good Living I fell in love with the witty, though decidedly orthodox, humor these authors bring to the table. Here is one of the user reviews from Amazon:

After describing the German Kaiser's reconquest of Alsace-Loraine from France in the Franco-Prussian War and his persecution of the region's Catholics, which occurred while the forces of the Kingdom of Italy kept the Pope a prisoner in the Vatican, and which was followed by the Paris Commune's murder of dozens of French clergy and religious, author John Zmirnak writes, "All in all, the 1870s may have been even worse for the Church than the 1970s ... hard as that might be to believe." (From the entry "Gewurztraminer: The Alsacians Need Better Neighbors.") If the idea of combining libations, cuisine, history, orthodoxy, humor, and political incorrectness appeals to you, then this is your book. Highly recommended.

Just thought I'd close out this week on a lighter note and encourage you all to grab a copy to get the giggles out for a while.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am trying to keep this book until Christmas as well. This year it will be easy to get gifts for Jared: this book and the Transformers movie! After reading the Bad Catholic's Guide to Good Living I have had a hard time banishing certain images associated with St. Agnes, cocktail weenies and the Assumption of Mary. Someday I'm gonna make those St. Agnes cookies for a good laugh!

Matt said...

Lauren,

Thanks for clueing Holly and I in on the existence of these books - they're right up our alley. The little excerpts I've seen of the new one are pretty hilarious, I'm certainly looking forward to it.